Purple Glam Sugar Skull

Dia de los Muertos or Day of the Dead is an intriguing holiday celebrated in central and southern Mexico on November 1 & 2. This is more of a cultural holiday to celebrate the memories of loved ones. Over time, sugar art became a popular decoration with various representations of honoring those who have passed. The main meaning behind a sugar skull is the celebration of life and helping to let the living know that their loved ones have found peace. They are designed to be bright and cheerful, using a minimum of 4 colors in most cases.


Over the years, recreating these sugar skulls using makeup has become popular around Halloween and this is my first attempt at it. I used simple white face paint I found at a Halloween store as my base. Using a black gel eye liner, I carved out my eye sockets. I filled the sockets in with several different shades of purple shadows and a purple gel eye liner. All of the lines on my face were first drawn on with the black liner and retouched with the purple liner. The purple and black rhinestones are from a craft store and I used my lash glue to safely secure them knowing I could remove them easily.




Face
Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser
Rubies Cream Makeup - White
Essence Gel Eyeliner - Midnight in Paris 01

Eyes
Urban Decay Primer Potion - Eden
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil - 604 Milk
Maybelline Color Tattoo 24hr Eyeshadow - 20 Painted Purple
Milani Fierce Foil Eyeliner - Purple Foil
Urban Decay Eyeshadow - Flash
Urban Decay Eyeshadow - Grifter
Nicole Rhinestones - 5mm Round Black
Nicole Rhinestones - 5mm Round Amethyst
Nicole Rhinestones - 7mm Round Jewel Mix (Purple)
Ardell Duo Lash Adhesive - Dark
MAC False Lashes Extreme Black Mascara


I plan to post another sugar skull that I am excited to try that will be a little different than this one! Let me know what you think about this look and if you decide to try something similar! 

Thanks so much for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March Madness Challenge

Where I've been for 2.5 years

New Years Resolution for 2016