SODA

Since the challenge is over I'm now making the decision to not drink soda instead of being challenged to stop all together. Although stopping my addiction was a challenge, I was also curious that once April hit, if I would even enjoy the taste. Nick and I decided to try it out together. We hit up Wawa and argued in the car about what size to get and ultimately decided on a fountain drink. I cheated a little and got the Coca-Cola slushie and Nick got Dr. Pepper. I may or may not have exuberantly stated that I have fallen off the wagon upon my first sip after saying cheers with Nick in front of 3 teens who seemingly didn't like my Bud Light t-shirt/jammie combo.

My first taste was like seeing an old friend after a month of only talking on the phone. It was refreshing to see each other again, the reunion was sweet, the meal was short lived, and by the end I was satisfied with the visit. It was all the flavor that I remember and I felt so joyful to have one again without guilt. It felt like I was having a treat, which is the biggest difference to me. Before I was drinking out of habit and addiction but now it feels like something I won't need as often but just once in a while would be nice. Nick was unaffected by the Dr. Pepper all together. He kept repeating it was a disappointment and seemed to be unsure of whether drinking the soda was worth it.
This is where things are clear now, I don't need soda - whether it was the caffeine I was ultimately addicted to, or the taste of the sweet syrup melted together with the fun bubbles that I enjoyed more, either way I don't want to drink that like I used to. I figured drinking a Coke would be this pivotal moment where I would have to make some grand decision to challenge myself to cut the soda again, but I didn't feel that way after I finished.
Water has replaced that necessity and it feels great. I was worried more about the flavor I was missing than how much I was gaining from cutting soda for those 31 days but now I am more energized, my heart burn occurs less often, I'm losing weight without trying, and I sleep through the night soundly. I would say I'm doing well without it.
Here's to choosing water over Coke! Cheers!
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March Madness Challenge

Where I've been for 2.5 years

New Years Resolution for 2016