Drugstore Brush Guide

To followup on the drugstore look a few posts ago, I wanted to give you all affordable brush options. My favorites are from Real Techniques, EcoTools, and Amazon. These are the brushes I use on a daily basis and in my next post for the drugstore mini series, I will be focusing on how to clean these brushes.

When I started building my collection of brushes, I needed a set that was affordable but still well made to complete more looks. I wanted a set specifically for the face and came across this listing on Amazon. The set of 10 brushes is currently posted around $10, which is unheard of for a decent first set. Within the first year of owning these I have only had to throw one away from shedding. I have chosen these brushes time and time again for foundation, concealer, primer, and many other various uses over high end brushes that I spent over 4xs as much on just one brush alone. Check these out, for the price it really is worth it.



Real Techniques started early on with amazing high end quality brushes with the price of drugstore products. They just started incorporating higher priced brushes that I have yet to purchase, but let's start with the original line. This powder brush is the latest RT brush I have added to my collection and it is amazing, especially for $10! The fluffy bristles pick up just enough product that I don't even tap it before applying to my face. I use this brush to apply face powder, setting powder, and even to blend out any places on my face that I may have applied powders with a heavy hand.


When applying foundation I have found that a small dense face brush is great to stipple liquid, mousse, and gel foundation. This brush is very small in comparison to the brushes in the Amazon set, but can smooth out foundation and concealer in the area around the nose and mouth unlike any other. This is not a brush that is necessary in your collection, but if you like the option of different foundation brushes, this is a great addition for $9.



Real Techniques hit the nail on the head with this brush. At first I had no idea what it was for. It seemed too big for blush, too tapered for powder foundation, and not dense enough for contouring, but I have come to find that it is my perfect brush for highlighting! No high end brush has come close to this and I am not even on the hunt because this baby was $9.




This set from EcoTools, $9, includes an angled blush brush, shadow brush, concealer brush, and an angled liner brush. The blush brush I use for blush on the daily, the shadow brush I've used in some tutorials, the concealer brush I hardly use, and the angled liner brush is my holy grail for applying my brows. Even if you don't use all the brushes in this set, even for me using two reguraly made the price worth it. These brushes are not for individual sale and the set is only sold at Ulta.





This is the domed bronzer brush, also from EcoTools, that I have never used for bronzer. It's amazing for applying powder for a fuller coverage than the RT powder brush above. Both are soft and great quality but not comparable. This brush has more condensed and shorter bristles. If you needed to choose between the two brushes, I would go with the RT brush, but if you like to apply powder heavier than foundation, then you should go with this one. Most retailers have this for around $10.



If you are looking for the softest and fluffiest brush to swipe away translucent powder after baking or setting, this is it! From EcoTools, this large powder brush, $8, is everything. This is a much needed brush if you have gotten into baking because it is not heavy, does not smear anything under the eyes, cheeks, forehead, and chin. It has enough power to get what you want out of the way without damaging your work. This brush is amazing when brushing away any eye shadow fall out too. This is one of my favorites out of my entire collection.



I hope this drugstore brush guide helps anyone looking for a decent set of brushes on a budget. I have reached for these brushes, which all seem to be in the $10 range, while brushes I have saved every penny for and spent over $40 on sit on the sidelines. Just because you know a brand has amazing makeup, does not always mean they have amazing brushes. Always keep that in mind! I am really enjoying giving you guys great affordable options with makeup, brushes, and skin care. It's important to know that you can have beautiful skin under the great makeup at a price that wont break the bank. Let me know what you guys think about these brushes, or if you already own them and what your thoughts are! I just got a brand new Twitter, k_pineapple10, so you guys can keep up with me on there as well! Have a great Monday and thanks for reading!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March Madness Challenge

Where I've been for 2.5 years

New Years Resolution for 2016